The trail finishes at Murrisk. The name comes either from ‘Muri Riasc’, which translates as ‘a marsh by the sea’, or the more romantic ‘Muir Iasc’, the sea-monster worshipped in pagan times. Overlooking the sea is the dramatic National Famine Monument, an outstanding John Behan sculpture, depicting a skeleton strung ‘coffin ship’.
In the 1400′s an abbey was founded at Murrisk by Pope Callistus 111. Since then the village has been renowned amongst pilgrims worldwide as a starting point for ascent of Croagh Patrick and for the generosity of the hospitality shown.Long and sandy Bertra Beach beside the village has been awarded the EU Blue Flag.