Drum Cemetery & Ecclesiastical Remains

http://croaghpatrickknockheritagetrail.ie/wp-content/uploads/2015/09/cpht-pligrammage-51.jpg
Heritage, Pilgrammage

The enclosing element is best defined between the west and south west. Here, it survives as a broad bank of earth and stone, 5 to 6 metres in width and averaging 1.2 metres high internally and externally. Some later rubble has been dumped on the bank in places.

Between the south west and north west, the enclosing element is enclosed by a later field fence. but there is still a drop from the site to the outer field level. No clear trace of the enclosing element can be seen elsewhere.

The ancient Church of Drum was the seat of the Parish of Drum. It is believed that St. Patrick built the first church here in 440CE  of timber construction.

Over the years a stone church (possibly medieval) was built which fell into disrepair in the 1800s. In 1871, local people decided to build a new church, but sadly their wish was never fulfilled, and all that remains of the old church is one wall aligned east-west.

Around the old church are many gravestones dating back to the 1700s. The construction of a cashel, the remains of which can still be seen west of the graveyard, further marked the importance of Drum church.