Clogher House, originally known as Clogher Lynch House, was built in 1770 by the Lynch family. Marcella Lynch married Major Crean from Hollybrook, outside Claremorris. On the 6th January 1839, ‘The night of the big wind’, the house was damaged and left roofless.
This disaster was welcomed, however, as it gave reason to remodel the house – a further storey was added to the house and it was roofed with modern slates.
Helena Crean, who inherited the estate from her father, married James Fitzgerald Kenny from Galway in 1870. Clogher House passed to James Fitzgerald Kenny Jnr. when Harry, his oldest brother, died mysteriously at 23 years of age after an incident in a local public house.
James was a brilliant lawyer and the most famous of the family; he was elected to Dail Eireann as a Cumann Na nGaedheal candidate in 1927 and was soon appointed as Minister for Justice, until he lost his seat to Dominick Cafferkey, Clann Na Talmhan, in the 1944 General Election.
James continued to live at Clogher until his death in 1956. After his death, the house and estate were sold to a timber merchant in the late 1960’s. In 1970, the house was destroyed in a fire. All that is visible today are the ruins.