Just off the trail is the ruin of Templeshaunaglasha, or ‘Church of John of the Dykes’. This was an old church in Ballybourke that has not been used since 1562. Only a partial wall remains, but the walls were originally nearly one metre thick.
The church had covered a space of 18 metres by 5 metres. It is possible that this was a resting place for pilgrims on the original Tóchar Pádraig. There is a Killeen surrounding the church, giving the location another name, ‘Kileendirimh’, or ‘the little graveyard or church of the wastes’.