Clogher Heritage Centre
The heritage centre consists of Stauntons Forge and Clogher Heritage Cottage. This forge in Newtown has been rebuilt from a ruin by the local F.A.S. C.E. Scheme in 1999, the site and ruin were donated by the Staunton Family of Ballyheane, and the old forge was in the Staunton family since the 19th century. Patrick Staunton, head of the household was listed in the 1901 census as a ‘Blacksmith and Farmer’, his son Richard was also listed as a blacksmith. John Staunton who died in 1980 was the last of the Stauntons to operate the Forge. Every effort has been made to reproduce a typical one bedroomed Labourers Cottage; constructed in 2003 by the local F.A.S. C.E. scheme with the help of leader and locally raised funds and donations it includes a Cailleach Bed/Hag Bed (a bed in an alcove/recess) and a Loft. The Loft would have been used as extra bed space but currently houses an excellent display of Churns. Local residents have donated many of the articles on display. The site for this Cottage was donated by Mrs. B. Cosgrave.
The trail goes through historic Brackloon Wood, this is a typical Atlantic oak woodland of 74 hectares dominated by sessile oak.. It represents one of the last remaining areas of Atlantic Oakwood in Ireland and is of significant national and international importance. Many stories about caves, hidden treasure and ancient monuments are told about the wood. King Conor MacNeasa and the Red Branch Knights are reputed to have ridden along the secluded road winding its way through the hills and woods to the coast. In 1998 there was extensive research carried out in the Brackloon area to identify distinctive stages in vegetation development since the last ice age. According to fossil pollen at Brackloon Lough, tall shrub and open woodland of birch and willow were flourishing from 9, 000 BC. From 7,000 BC to 4,500BC, the expansion of deciduous woodland such as hazel, elm, oak and birch became very prevalent. It was not until 1,200BC that human interference is suggested due to the decline in elm, oak and alder. This also coincides with an increase in human activity in the greater Clew Bay area. The dominance of this natural woodland over several thousand years suggests there were small population numbers in the […]
Drum Cemetery & Ecclesiastical Remains
The enclosing element is best defined between the west and south west. Here, it survives as a broad bank of earth and stone, 5 to 6 metres in width and averaging 1.2 metres high internally and externally. Some later rubble has been dumped on the bank in places. Between the south west and north west, the enclosing element is enclosed by a later field fence. but there is still a drop from the site to the outer field level. No clear trace of the enclosing element can be seen elsewhere. The ancient Church of Drum was the seat of the Parish of Drum. It is believed that St. Patrick built the first church here in 440CE of timber construction. Over the years a stone church (possibly medieval) was built which fell into disrepair in the 1800s. In 1871, local people decided to build a new church, but sadly their wish was never fulfilled, and all that remains of the old church is one wall aligned east-west. Around the old church are many gravestones dating back to the 1700s. The construction of a cashel, the remains of which can still be seen west of the graveyard, further marked the importance of […]
St. Patrick founded a church in Ballintubber after he brought Christianity to Ireland c.440CE. Ballintubber Abbey was founded in 1216 by Cathal Crovdearg O Connor for the Canon Regulars of St. Augustine (The Augustinians) beside the 5th century Monastic site associated with St. Patrick. It became known as ‘’The Abbey that refused to die’’ after surviving much repression after the reformation, and burning by Cromwell in 1653. It continued as a place of worship during and beyond penal times, despite having no roof. Tioboid Na Long (son of Grainuaille), first Viscount of Mayo, is buried in the sacristy. Restoration works on the Abbey
Dancora, Ballintubber, Cullentragh
At this point in the Trail, pilgrims used the well to wash their feet after the journey to Croagh Patrick. Stones were heated and placed in the water to keep it warm. The name comes from the Irish Dabhac an Chora meaning ‘Bath of the Righteous’.
Church & Graveyard
Just off the trail is the ruin of Templeshaunaglasha, or ‘Church of John of the Dykes’. This was an old church in Ballybourke that has not been used since 1562. Only a partial wall remains, but the walls were originally nearly one metre thick. The church had covered a space of 18 metres by 5 metres. It is possible that this was a resting place for pilgrims on the original Tóchar Pádraig. There is a Killeen surrounding the church, giving the location another name, ‘Kileendirimh’, or ‘the little graveyard or church of the wastes’.
Church of the Teeth
This church ruin is said to have been erected by St Patrick. Called Teampall na bhFiachal, or ‘the Church of the Teeth’, it gets its name from a line of rocks resembling teeth, visible from the church. The remains of the church reveal that the church was built after the arrival of St Patrick. Local legend says, however, that the church was built on the site of a smaller structure, local folklore also says the bell from the original structure lies under the surrounding bog. The founder of the church is said to be St Senach, the Bishop of Aughagower who lived in the 7th Century CE.
St. Patrick’s Well
Also known as ‘St Patrick’s Vat’ or Dabhac Phadraig, this is said to be where St Patrick baptised the first converts. Under the well is a drain connecting the well to the Well of the Deacons across the road. Growing inside the wall of the well is an ancient tree and it is said that the soil and rotting wood around the tree have healing properties. However, it was necessary to return the soil to the base of the tree when healing was complete.
Translated as ‘Patrick’s Stone’, this is one of many stones located along the Trail. These stones can be seen as playing multiple purposes, having both historical and religious roles. They have also been interpreted as having connections with ‘ley lines’ – monuments were aligned on lines of spiritual energy which cover the earth. A simpler explanation is that they were erected to create a path to Croagh Patrick.
This Neolithic Art Carving, consisting of Cup and Ringmarks, is known locally as St. Patrick’s Chair. The large natural outcrop of rock is on the eastern approach to Croagh Patrick. The Boheh stone is almost totally covered in carvings, consisting primarily of cupmarks, many enclosed by one or more circles, while there are also several patterns known as keyhole motifs – a style of art dating from the Bronze Age. In 1991, local historian Gerry Bracken discovered a unique event now known as ‘The Rolling Sun’. Seen from the rock, the sun appears to set on the summit of Croagh Patrick and then proceeds to roll down the right hand (northern) slope of the mountain. This event occurs biennially at the Spring Equinox and Autumn Equinox, marking obviously important sowing and harvesting times of the prehistoric era.
Croagh Patrick has been associated with ritual religious observance for thousands of years – and still is today. Unique in an Irish and European context, there is the physical evidence of both a major later-prehistoric and early-historic ritual, ceremonial and defensive focus. There is also an unbroken pilgrimage tradition stretching back into the depths of recorded history. The main day of pilgrimage is the last Sunday in July (‘Reek Sunday’). It is believed the earliest Christians arrived in Ireland some 400 years after the birth of Christ. At this time, Ireland was deeply submerged in pagan ritual and tradition. Before association with St Patrick, the Reek (as it is known locally) was called Cruachan Agli, roughly translated as ‘the hill of the eagle’. According to tradition, Patrick fasted for 40 days as penance on Croagh Patrick, and it is from here that he’s believed to have banished the snakes from Ireland.
Nally’s Monument, Balla
PJW Nally (1856-1891), after whom the Nally Stand in Croke Park is named, was born at Rockstown House, near Balla. He organised two National Athletic events in Balla, providing part of the impetus for the establishment of the G.A.A. in 1884. Nally held strong Fenian views and in the late 1870s became a leading organiser of the Irish Republican Brotherhood in Connaught. His Fenian activities forced him on the run in 1880. After two years in England, he returned but was arrested in 1883 for his involvement in the ‘’Crosmolina conspiracy’’. Nally was sentenced to 10 years penal servitude. For good conduct, he was due early release from prison, but just 16 days before his release, he died in Mountjoy jail. The death was recorded as typhoid fever, but it was widely believed that he was a victim of foul play. A Celtic Cross to his memory stands in the centre of the village.
Blessed Well, Balla
The ‘Blessed Well’ dates back to St. Mochua (Cronan) who founded the first monastic settlement at Balla in the year 616A.D. The Well of ‘The Blessed Mother of God’, as it described on the slab of the Rest house, drew crowds of up to 15,000 at its peak in the 19th century. The Balla Blessed Well pilgrimage lasted from the 15th August to 18th September. On the wall to the west of the well, there was once a stone with a Latin inscription. In English, the inscription reads as follows – “We fly under patronage O Holy Mother of God. The Parish Priest of the Well of the Gods Mother of Balla had me affirmed here. 25th March 1696 P.R.O.” This stone slab is currently to be found in the Rest House beside the well.
Rest House, Balla
Near the Holy Well in Balla, there are the remains of an old Rest House. It was used to house pilgrims throughout the 19th century. The pilgrimage took place from August 15th to September 18th The Rest House was also a refuge for the blind or ill. In the house, there were once two little pillars, of mason work, on top of which are two small stone crosses with inscriptions on them dated back to 1733. Both inscriptions are written in English and underneath them are the words ‘Sub tuum presidium fugimus, sancta dei genitrix’, meaning ‘Under your protection, we fly, Holy Mother of God’. In the Stone walls of the Rest House, during spring and summer, there is a plant in bloom known as St Patrick’s Cabbage, which normally blooms in alpine areas.
In 1879, there was an attempted eviction of Anthony Dempsey and his family. On Saturday, November 15th, the sheriff arrived to enforce the eviction. A rally, led by the Fenian leader, PW Nally, from Balla, included many men armed with sticks. Dempsey’s supporters approached the home but the Royal Irish Constabulary challenged them. Charles Stuart Parnell arrived on the scene and urged the protestors to use peaceful protest only. If news of the Dempsey eviction spread, it would not help the movement. Therefore it was decided to pay the £26 rent out of Land League funds. Following the payment, the Dempsey family was allowed back into their cottage.
Ringfort at Loonamore
An early Patrician site, there is a considerable rise of land here which would suggest a possible ringfort, rath, or cashel at one time. According to the land owner, the field that holds this ring fort is called Fortfield. Though now there is no trace of a fort visible, the name suggests such a site once existed here. The fort would most likely have been where there is a natural rise in the field. There is also a large, roughly circular hollow area that is now used to shelter cattle.
Features at Loona
The Early Ecclesiastical Enclosure at Loona contains the ruins of Loona church, as well as a children’s burial ground. A water hole was excavated within the area, which the landowner claimed to be a spring well and which has since been filled in. The children’s burial ground is situated roughly in the middle of the enclosure, though no trace of burials or grave markers is now visible. The only remaining evidence of Loona Church is its south wall, which stands almost 2.5 metres in height, and some stone debris nearby.
Land League Rally Fort at Loona
The Land League held a rally on this field to bring national attention to evictions in general, and to protest the eviction of the Dempsey’s in Loona. Charles Stewart Parnell, a mayor figure in the land reform movement, was said to be in attendance that day. The Dempsey’s were not evicted on the day of the rally, although the eviction was executed a few days later, after the attention had died down.
The house was built in 1827 and was sold or gifted to the African Missionary Brothers circa 1908 by Lieutenant Colonel Llewellyn Blake of Ballinafad, subsequently becoming a seminary. Thousands of men all over Ireland received education here, and over the course of a 70-year period, nearly 500 students went on to be ordained. A new wing was added in 1932. In the late 1970s, the house was sold to Balla Mart and became an Agricultural College for a few years. Though the estate cannot be seen directly from the Trail, one of its many entrances can. The gates to Ballinafad are located on the corner, across from Bridgemount Estate on the way to Guesdian.
Guesdian Graveyard is located along the road passing through Guesdian. In the graveyard are the remains of the Kilbrenan Church, along with several headstones dating from the 19th and 20th century. The earliest date from any of the stone in the graveyard is 1846. Many burial sites within Guesdian Graveyard are marked with Celtic Crosses. The Celtic Cross, which incorporates both Pagan sun as well as the Christian cross, visually represents the blended rather then conquered symbolism of the two traditions.
The remains of Guesdian Castle can be seen atop the hill while standing in Guesdian Graveyard. The opposite side of the castle ruin, which cannot be seen from the Trail, is in the shape of a great arch. The castle stands 20ft wide inside. The castle is said to have originally been rectangular, but today, only the remains of the east and west walls are standing connected by the remains of the roof. Guesdian castle was a Burke castle, and in 1574, it was occupied by Riocard an Iarainn, legendarily known as Iron Dick. He was the husband of the famous pirate queen, Grainne Uaille (Grace O Malley) and the father of Tiobóid na Long, who was shot by his own brother-in-law and is now buried in Ballintubber Abbey.
The oldest, and at one time the largest fair in Mayo, was known as the Fair at Doonamona. The Fairs were held on the 26th of May and the 17th of October. The Fairs at Doonamona were large and well attended. They presented an opportunity for the local community to buy and sell stock. Tents were set up so that the vendors could offer sugar cane, sweets, biscuits and drinks. These events brought the communities of Clogher and Belcarra together. It said that many young ladies, hoping to catch the eye of a wealthy farmer, would parade around the fairground in their Sunday best.
Earthwork (Possible Ringfort), Doonamona
This particular earthwork, located just above the wetland and behind the castle at Doonamona, appears to have been a ringfort, but its importance cannot be fully determined without the need for further excavation.
There are two fine example of ringforts along the trail – at Fortlawn and Knockaraha. The Univallate Ringfort, (meaning one bank surrounding the fort itself) in Fortlawn can be seen while walking along the road before coming upon Fortlawn Cottage. It can be spotted quite easily because the large beech trees stand roughly50 feet above ground level in a circular shape. While it is still easily identifiable and mostly intact, it is believed that, at one time, that there were more trees surrounding the circle.
After the Fortlawn Ringfort, the trail comes to Fortlawn Cottage. Two pillars mark the beginning of the driveway, known as the ‘’Pineapple Pillars’’. Fortlawn Cottage, believed to have beenbuilt around 1748, is the oldest house remaining in residential use in Clogher. Built as a thatch cottage, the original residents and builders are unknown. The earliest known residents of the house were the Mulrooney’s. Mrs. Mulrooney was known as a great herbalist and looked to Fortlawn Wood to create many of her cures. In 1945, Mulroonys sold the house to Joe Blowick, who was Minister of Agriculture at the time. In 1962, Padraig and Bernie McGreal moved into the cottage, remaining there to this day.
Described as a Cross Slab dating c.900A.D., this is the broken remains of a cross-inscribed slab, carved from sandstone. Part of the central bosse, the left hand arm and part of the stem are all that are visible today. As your face the slab in its present location (eastern end of the old graveyard at Drum), the top and left hand side are intact, with breaks having occurred at the base and right hand side. The breaks appear very clear. At the base, it has broken in a chamfer type feature. An examination of the graveyard to date has failed to uncover the remainder of this impressive slab.
Fitzgerald Kenny Grave
Near to the remaining church wall lies the Fitzgerald Kenny enclosed burial plot. The Fitzgerald Kennys were central figures in much of Clogher’s history.
Clogher House, originally known as Clogher Lynch House, was built in 1770 by the Lynch family. Marcella Lynch married Major Crean from Hollybrook, outside Claremorris. On the 6th January 1839, ‘The night of the big wind’, the house was damaged and left roofless. This disaster was welcomed, however, as it gave reason to remodel the house – a further storey was added to the house and it was roofed with modern slates. Helena Crean, who inherited the estate from her father, married James Fitzgerald Kenny from Galway in 1870. Clogher House passed to James Fitzgerald Kenny Jnr. when Harry, his oldest brother, died mysteriously at 23 years of age after an incident in a local public house. James was a brilliant lawyer and the most famous of the family; he was elected to Dail Eireann as a Cumann Na nGaedheal candidate in 1927 and was soon appointed as Minister for Justice, until he lost his seat to Dominick Cafferkey, Clann Na Talmhan, in the 1944 General Election. James continued to live at Clogher until his death in 1956. After his death, the house and estate were sold to a timber merchant in the late 1960’s. In 1970, the house was […]
This forge in Newtown has been completely rebuilt from a ruin by the efforts of a local FÁS CE (Community Employment) Scheme in 1999. The site and ruin were donated by the Staunton Family of Ballyheane. The old forge was in the Staunton family since the 19th century. Patrick Staunton, head of the household, was listed in the 1901 census as a ‘Blacksmith and Farmer’. Patrick’s son, Richard, was also listed as a blacksmith. John Staunton, who died in 1980, was the last of the Stauntons to operate the Forge.
This is an excellent example of a uni-vallate ringfort in good condition. The interior is subdivided by a low wall running east to west, while to the south there is a broad earthen bank dividing the holding into two additional parts. The enclosing bank averages 0.3 metres internally and 1.4 metres high externally. Hazel trees grow on the edge and interior. The only clear entrance is a gap along the west side, but this might only be the result of interference from livestock etc. Ringforts, usually identified as a circular earthen bank, are mainly Iron Age single family settlements. Larger ringforts may have contained several family units and may have two or more banks (bi-vallate or multi-vallate). Forts with more than one bank may have been an indicator of the inhabitant’s status or that the threat of attack was greater in some areas.
Stirabout Road, Cullentragh
At the townland of Cullentragh is a crossroads overlapping a section of the Tochar Padraig. During famine times, local people would do any work to provide for their families, often being paid in oatmeal as a substitute for money. Consequently the roads they worked on became known as ‘Stirabout Roads’.
Vernacular Cottages, Cullentragh
The remains of several vernacular cottages are located here, up on a hill at the townland of Cullentragh. Used during famine times up to late 19th Century, there could be up to three or four families in each cottage. Features can be seen in these ruins, such as the ‘cailleach’, where the grandmother slept.
Old Mill, Killawalla
Referred to as the ‘Old Mill’, the building is located on the river Aille. The mill was built in the 19th century by Lord Avonmore and was used for grinding corn or milling flour. The mill was forced to close due to a dispute between Avonmore and another local landlord, Lord Lynch Bosse. The dispute was over who owned the land either side of the river. Even building a canal to the mill was not enough to supply water to the mill and it consequently became abandoned.
Crannog at Killawalla
Crannogs are man-made islands, usually located in marshy areas or small lakes. They could be accessed from the surrounding mainland by use of submerged causeways or small boats. They were built for homesteads or used as cattle pens and safe houses. During the time of the Celts, cattle were the main unit of currency and therefore were very valuable. Cattle were often stolen in cattle raids and crannogs were one method of cattle protection.
Charles Crotty was a landlord who purchased an 1808 acre estate in April 1852, and by September, had evicted 44 families. He was widely disliked for this. He also divided land up into small parcels, making it difficult for tenants to make a living. There were many attempts on his life. He was once shot in the eye by a Newport man commissioned for the job, and nearly died. In 1858, an RIC barracks was built near Crotty’s house to protect him. When he finally died, the locals ransacked his house and stuffed potatoes into his mouth. A legend persists that his ghost haunts the house.
Aille River & Pollatomary Cave
The Aille River extends throughout Mayo and is noted for its underground route. Coming from the Partry Mountains, it disappears into the cave at Aille, re-emerging at Ballyburke. There have been a few attempts to explore the caves; in 1975, some British potholers descended 112 feet into a hole at Pollflanagan, believing it possible to reach Aille cave. This was unproved. They reported seeing blind fish which survive in the total darkness of the cave. The rise of the Aille is the deepest in Europe. Martin Farr, in 1978, descended 33 metres and believed he had reached the cave floor, but in 2008 Artur Kozlowski, a Polish diver, was able to descend to 103 metres.
Ballybourke Castle is situated just beyond the Aille River and Pollatomarry Cave. Built by the deBurgos, a Norman family, it is said to have been situated in a straight line with two other castles – Macphilbins in Toberoonan and Castleburke, allowing them to signal to each other.
Aille Caves Sunken Area
This was formed due to the roof cave collapsing, with some parts collapsing around 1959. If you follow it around to the left, you come to the Aille cliffs and caves. During periods of rain the water rises, making entrance to the cave dangerous. According to the annals of Loch Ce, in 1063 A.D., 160 people were hiding in the caves for safety and were suffocated – reportedly with the jewels of Connacht. Before and during penal times mass was held here in secret, to be caught was to risk the death penalty. Watchmen were placed on the cliffs to spot the authorities.
Anglican Church & School
In the early 1800s, people from the north of England came to Mayo to work in the flax industry – flax was used in the production of linen. This church was established for those workers in 1828 to accommodate the large numbers of Anglicans who came here. Only a small part of the church remains. A two storey school was attached to it to educate the children of workers. Catholic children were forced to attend.
Carved Head at Aughagower Church
Inside the ruined Abbey there is carved head engraved on the window facing the old graveyard across the road. It may be there to keep a watchful eye over the altar, which would have stood below the window.
Lankill Standing Stone
This standing stone is 7ft high. On the west face is a cross with a V-shaped ornament beneath it, and on the east face is a cross and four concentric circles; the stone possibly dates to the Bronze Age period but was Christianised at some later time. The area boasts a cultivated woodland of native oaks, a bronze age standing stone, a penal mass rock, a monastic settlement and burial chamber. The name Lankill itself is translated into Irish as Lainn Cille (Land of the Church). Joyce, in his Names of Places, said ‘The word Lann is Irish but in its ecclesiastical application it was borrowed from Welsh. The purpose of standing stones is unclear; some are thought to be boundary/territorial markers, ritual or ceremonial sites, possible burial sites or part of an astrological alignment.
Also known as potato ridges, these are physical remains of the Great Famine that began in 1845, causing nearly ten years of starvation, disease and emigration. Land holdings were very small, due to unscrupulous landlords, and 62% of families had only one to fifteen acres each to cultivate. During British occupation, the landlords required tenants to grow crops for export on the good land, and the Irish were forced to utilise poorer soils. The potato was the only suitable crop. Potato blight swept the country, causing crops to fail and subsequent starvation, especially in the West of Ireland.
Farburren Eccliastical Enclosure
This large enclosure is in a partly wooded area close to Prospect House. The enclosing earthen bank is stone-faced at intervals, with a flat ledge outside the bank on the North West to North East sector. The interior contains a circular stone enclosure and the low foundations of an early Christian church, located within a slightly elevated ancient burial area. Graves are marked by stones or simple grave markers. Close to the church is a bullaun stone (used as an ancient holy water font) with a hollowed out section. On the eastern side of the church, a raised stone cairn may have been used as an altar or a grave. The church and burial ground are enclosed by a later graveyard wall, which was built to contain the remains of the Buchanan family who owned nearby Prospect House. The last burial here dates from the 1950s.
This Deerpark is called Deerpark West; it is a rectangular shaped townland and was surrounded by a well-constructed wall. The main entrance pillars and gate still survive at the western end of the north wall. The Deerpark wall served as the townland boundary, but part of it is missing in the south end of the townland. Two square-shaped pens or deer folds built of stone can still be seen near the southern end of the townland, and what looks like the outline of a third can be made out in the north central part of the townland. This Deerpark was probably part of the Westport House estate, the first house being built c.1650 -possibly on the site of a previous castle. Deerparks were a common medieval feature, introduced to Ireland by the Normans sometime around the 1300s, along with rabbits and fallow deer. Most counties in Ireland had one at some time.
Though not directly on the trail, one archaeological location in Murrisk includes the following interesting Bronze Age feature, near the base of Croagh Patrick on the eastern shore of Clew Bay. Five large stones lie directly in alignment with the sun as it comes down into a niche on the eastern shoulder of Croagh Patrick. This happens on the Winter Solstice on December 21st. Other features here suggest this was a major ceremonial site, there are more stones surrounded by a large enclosure. Folk tales associate the site with Queen Maeve, the Celtic queen of the West of Ireland.
The National Famine Monument
This Monument was unveiled in July 1997 by then President of Ireland, Mary Robinson – it was created by Dublin born Sculptor John Behan (born 1938). Cast in bronze, it depicts a coffin ship, the sails of which are fashioned like skeletons, representing the terrible, deadly plight of the famine stricken people from the time. In 2001 a similar monument was unveiled in New York close to the United Nations. On that ship is a plank depicting survivors entering America.
This Abbey was founded by Fr. Hugh O’ Malley in 1457, after receiving the land from the local chieftain (said to be a grandfather to Grainnuaile). Fr. Hugh had sought permission to establish a Friary from Pope Callistus the 3rd for the Canon Regulars of St. Augustine (Augustinians). It was later dedicated to St. Patrick. In 1578 the land was leased to James Garvey, who was a brother to the Church of Ireland’s Archbishop of Armagh. From then until the 1800s, little is known of the friars attached to the friary but it is known they suffered persecution. It is believed some of them relocated to the friary in Ballyhaunis when Murrisk friary ceased to function. One such friar, Fr. Myles Prendergast, had to spend many years on the run in the Clifden area. Although the friars were not in residence in the Friary, there is evidence to suggest some were sheltered in the area by locals and administered to their flock. A chalice, now in Tuam, has the following inscription: ‘Pray for the souls of Theobald, Lord Viscount Mayo and his wife Maeve ni Cnochoure who had me made for the monastery of Murrisk in the year of our […]
Enjoy more heritage highpoints than on any other Irish trail.
Along the 80km route of the Croagh Patrick Heritage Trail, you will find more heritage sites than on any other similar trail in Ireland. It is simply alive with heritage, and provides a wealth of archaeological, cultural, historical and geographical interest. And also, of course, the Trail links two of Ireland’s famous religious sites – Croagh Patrick and Knock Shrine. The heritage sites featured in the following listings are generally ordered in the same sequence in which they occur along the Trail. In most cases, they are located directly on the trail, but a few of them will demand a short diversion.